You don’t have to be vegan to try oat milk! This super creamy healthy milk with a yummy oat-y taste is perfect for adding in your regular coffee or tea, ice cream, cold beverages, and even in baking desserts. Ditch the store-bought cartons, and follow this homemade recipe to make your own velvety smooth oats milk with minimal equipment and 5 minutes of time.
• Whole rolled oats, ½ cup
• Filtered water, 3 cups
• Maple Syrup/Honey, 2 teaspoons
• Vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon
• Sea salt, 1/8 teaspoon
• Add oats and water into a powerful blender and blend it for 30 seconds. The water should look white and creamy.
• Next, take a large bowl and place a fine-mesh strainer over it. Pour the blended oat milk through it. A small amount of the liquid may pool at the bottom of the strainer, but that’s absolutely fine! Discard this liquid and any remaining oat pulp below it.
• This step is optional, so you can skip it if in a hurry. But if you wish for extra-smooth milk, this simple step is necessary. Just strain the liquid once again, and discard any leftover pulp this time too. This double straining will give the ultimate smoothest silkiest texture to your oat milk.
• Sweeten up the milk with a pinch of salt, a dash of maple syrup or honey, and a splash of vanilla extract. For best taste, chill it in the fridge, and savor at your will.
Notes of Caution
• Do not over-blend, lest you compromise the texture.
• Don’t press out the liquid a lot like almond milk or other plant-based milk. Here the trick is to apply less pressure and discard the remaining pulp. Otherwise, the milk will become slimy and gritty.
• When sitting in the fridge, natural separation will occur in the oat milk. You can shake it like other kinds of milk before use. But to enjoy the velvety smooth texture, it’s better to leave the pulp at the bottom and pour the creamy milk off the top.